now browsing by author
The holiday season is a happy, festive time for everyone, but may lead to frustration in the décor department. Stores are filled with Christmas-themed decorations and linens, but what do you do if you’re Jewish? Are there any throw pillows for Hanukkah? As it happens, there are plenty, and we can help you decorate stylishly for the holiday.
Colors for Hanukkah
If you have ever celebrated Hanukkah before, you probably already know the classic and thematic colors of blue and white are typically associated with the holiday. But do you know where the colors come from? Blue and white are, of course, the colors of the Israeli flag. White symbolizes purity and cleanliness, part of the Sabbath, while blue is the color of heaven and divine revelation.
Hanukkah, the commemoration of the Jewish victory against Antiochus IV and the
rededication of the temple in the 2nd century BC, deserves attractive décor to complement the home in observance of the holiday. Designers on HGTV have offered unique, non-traditional ways to use the two traditional colors of Hanukkah, including using multiple shades of blue ribbon to hang white paper lanterns or decorating a white holiday tree with blue ornaments.
Many decorators also like to incorporate metallics, including an attractive yellow-gold for
placeholders and flatware. Patterns in décor are also an excellent way to change up traditional Hanukkah colors, adding an intriguing graphic impact while retaining a sophisticated appearance.
Throw Pillows for Hanukkah
Hanukkah décor doesn’t have to stop in the dining area. Extend the classic colors of blue and white to your furniture by using fabulous graphic throw pillows, such as the Chevron Bold Blue by Pillow Décor. Decorative items like this are bold enough to make a statement. Not every element of design in your home must scream “Hanukkah” to contribute to a beautiful theme, which is why throw pillows are an excellent option in keeping with the simple – but not simplistic – colors of the holiday.
Are you bored of beige? If the interior of your home is bumming you out, it may be time to brighten up your living space a bit. But don’t assume you need to bring out the paint and rollers – there are a number of ways to add color to your living space without going through the arduous process of painting your home.
How to Combine Colors
One great way to start introducing color into a neutral room in your home is to choose a bold color and then work around that with accent colors. Combinations like a bold blue with supplementary teal and light yellow-green, or golden yellow with dark and bright greens, hold up beautifully.
Ways to Add Color
One excellent and very simple way to brighten up a dull room is to add a colorful rug or curtains, or even brightly colored furniture. Consider, too, window treatments to bathe entire rooms in soft colorful light without even touching a paintbrush.
Of course, throw pillows are a great way to add splashes of color throughout a room. A bonus to using throw pillows is that they also provide a wonderful sense of comfort in addition to their colorful flair. In rooms with a neutral tone to the walls and furniture, solid colored throw pillows are a wonderful way to brighten up an entire space without being overwhelming.
Adding color definitely doesn’t have to look simple. If solid color cotton pillows aren’t your style, then maybe you are after a material that feels a little more upscale. Consider these Royal Suede Throw Pillows from Pillow Décor, which come in a great size for comfort and stay put on your couches, chairs, or bedding due to the texture of the fabric. You can’t beat the luxurious feel of faux suede to accent the wonderful brightness of these pillows.
Updating your home décor might seem like a daunting and expensive task, especially for those of us living in rented spaces where painting is not allowed. Luckily, a creative approach to decor accessories will help you bring color into rooms without putting a drop of paint on the walls.
Start With DIY Accessories
For those who are interested in making over a rental or have a tight budget to invest in all new decor, DIY is a great way to get started. With self-made projects, you can create a home that is both chic and colorful in addition to being cost-effective. DIY decorations, such as a wreath made of old book pages or a front door landing space made of repurposed logs, add homey and handmade charm to the inside of your home without the need for paint.
In keeping with the DIY aesthetic, hanging photos and artwork on the walls can brighten up a space without any paint whatsoever. These accessories create a personal feel that you can’t find any other way. Many renters also hang up posters, wall plates, postcards, polaroid photos, and more – it’s all up to your personal aesthetic.
Another great way to add some color or style is to use wall decals. You can buy decals of birds, leaves, flowers, and more to make any wall feel more exciting – which also means that the wall will feel like your own design without any permanent fixtures. For artists, making wall decals with scrapbook or origami paper can be a great way to add personal flair without any permanence.
Painting – But Not the Walls!
Plenty of renters find it frustrating that they cannot paint the walls of their home. However, there are definitely ways to add lots of color to a home without painting the walls. You can paint your own furniture to liven up an old piece or make a thrift store find feel brand new.
You may find that you can actually swap out some items in your apartment for accessories that are more appealing. As long as you check in with the landlord first, you can probably change out the light fixtures and mini-blinds for tasteful lighting and your own curtains. Just make sure to have full (even written) permission before making any major changes to the interior of any rented home.
A Personal Touch with Décor Accessories
Décor accessories like throw pillows from Pillow Décor are a great way to add personal flair and comfort to a rental. If you’re on a budget, there are a number of pillows available in many price ranges, such as these classic Brookside Garden Green Throw Pillows.
While the phrase “throw pillow” might make you think of the typical square pillow, the truth is that your choices are much more varied! Learn more about the different kinds of throw pillows that you can use to accent any room.
Size and Style
Throw pillows can range from just a few inches or several feet wide in size. Sizes can also be mixed and matched for different pieces of furniture or floor space.
Bolster pillows, unlike the traditional rectangular or box pillow, are cylindrical in shape and are sturdier as well – an excellent option for leaning or propping up the head or legs.
There are a number of different shapes that the edges of a pillow can take. For instance, the most basic type of pillow that you will see is the rectangular knife edge pillow. This type of pillow consists very simply of two square or rectangular pieces of fabric sewn together around the edges, creating a seam.
There are more decorative styles of pillows, however, such as the flange pillow, which has a band of flat fabric around its edges. These are enormously versatile and customizable, as the flange can be a different pattern than the rest of the pillow – though it doesn’t have to be. A welted or corded pillow has a cord rather than a flange around the seam, which can also be comprised of the same fabric as the pillow, or a different fabric which coordinates.
Finally, the box pillow has raised, flat sides. This type of pillow is typical of the couch or seat cushion. The sides of the box can match or contrast the top and bottom of the pillow. Any pillow can come with tassels and other fun decorations, so don’t be afraid to look at several different styles and shapes.
Types of Stuffing
There are just a couple of types of pillow stuffing, namely down and synthetic options. Down requires the owner to fluff the pillow regularly, which is why many pillows are made of a down/feather or down/synthetic blend to hold their shapes more readily. Synthetic fillings have actually improved enormously over the past couple of decades, which means they can be as comfortable as down, and are a great option for pillows that will see a lot of wear. For example, polyester Fiberfil is hypoallergenic, a great option for those who want the feel of down but suffer from allergic reactions.
Texture and Color
Colors and textures are the most obvious aspects of any pillow, so choose throws that you like the look and feel of. Don’t be afraid to go a little wild, either – like with this Snow Leopard Faux Fur Throw Pillow from Pillow Décor, which mixes a fun pat tern with a luxurious texture.
Paint Your Pumpkin!
No time to carve? No problem! Pick up some painting supplies and get creative with your friends and family. Unlike carving, even the youngest kids can enjoy this fun Halloween activity!
Treats for The Party
If you are throwing a Halloween party but feel there is not enough time to decorate your home, don’t worry – treat your guests to some tasty, Halloween-inspired desserts such as these fun and festive cupcakes. Try serving your friends cupcakes in a jar – a funky Halloween version of the traditional cupcake – plus, very convenient for a stand-up type of party!
Halloween Themed Stickers
If you have no time to invest in decorating your interior for Halloween, consider spooking up the exterior of your house or apartment with black window stickers. The scary and mysterious silhouettes on the windows will get you and your neighbors in the Halloween mood. Add some orange lights to frame the windows for the full effect.
One fast and hassle-free option is to use orange balloons with scary Halloween drawings or stickers on them, which can be bought or quickly made at home.
Decorative Halloween Candles
Spelling Halloween-related words on a set of candles colored in yellow, orange, rust and brown is a great addition to the atmosphere. Candles of various shapes, colors and sizes are easily available from your nearest supermarket. To save money, try wrapping the candles you already have at home with colored tissue paper that can be found in your local dollar store. Next, attach vinyl or paper letters to spell words like “October”, “Happy Halloween” and “Boo!”
Halloween Throw Pillows
One of the easiest ways to decorate your home for holidays in a comfortable and functional fashion is to throw in some decorative pillows. At Pillow Décor, we got you covered for your Murder Mystery Halloween party! Add a splash of blood red to your living room with this shockingly sophisticated Bullet Point Pillow.
When it comes to gift giving, pillows can be a hit or a miss. Understanding the recipient’s taste and unique circumstances is crucial to choosing a gift pillow they will enjoy and display, instead of letting it languish in a closet (or giving it away).
When to Give a Gift Pillow
Sometimes it’s appropriate to give a pillow, and other times it’s best to go with another gift. In the following situations, a pillow is acceptable:
- Housewarming parties. The most popular time to give a pillow is at a housewarming party. After all, guests are there for the purpose of seeing the home and congratulating the owners on their new move. If it’s your first time visiting the home since it’s been decorated, you’ll want to go with very neutral colors that could be used with a variety of styles.
- Bridal showers. Giving a pillow at a bridal shower is entirely appropriate. In most cases, guests are asked to provide a gift that will contribute to the new couple’s home, and a pillow can be a very memorable and much needed gift.
- Holidays. Many people enjoy trading out pillows throughout the year. This is typically done on a seasonal basis, and styles are usually related to holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Valentine’s Day. At holiday parties, consider giving a themed pillow as a housewarming gift. It can be put to immediate use and is always appropriate.
- Birthdays. If you know the person very well, you can give a pillow as a birthday gift. Here, though, you need to be more careful. With less guidance than other situations, you can easily go astray with a style that is neither useful nor tasteful.
Considerations for Pillow Gift Giving
There is no need to overthink things, but do give consideration to the following areas:
- Style. What is the recipient’s current color scheme?
- Theme. Does the recipient have a favorite theme? (I.e. dogs, flowers, or pattern)
- Function. Does the recipient have small children or pets? (Functionality vs. Style)
At Pillow Décor, we have pillows for every occasion. Regardless of the style, material, shape, size, or color you’re looking for, we have something that will suite your needs. For gift giving, you can also consider a gift certificate – which is perfect for any occasion.
For individuals looking to make a bold statement with home accessories, graphic pillows are the perfect option. From ethnic designs to artistic drawings to modern prints, a graphic pillow exists to suit any aesthetic. How will you express your style?
Types of Graphic Pillows
Every graphic pillow is unique and different. While they all fall under the category of “graphic,” here are a few specific types:
- Lettering. Some graphic pillows spell out words, phrases, or quotes. These are often very expressive and should be used sparingly in appropriate rooms. Kids particularly enjoy graphic lettering, but you can frequently find them on patio furniture, in game rooms, and in other less formal settings.
- Pictures. The classic graphic pillow has a picture or artistic rendition of some event. This could be of a favorite sports team, celebrity, historical figure, or classic work of art. The picture is often printed in very specific tones and colors that are appropriate for the particular fabric used.
- Unique designs. The most popular graphic pillows contain a combination of particular objects and abstract designs. For example, graphic pillows with a bird and an accompanying floral pattern are a common style.
Where to Use Graphic Pillows
It’s hard to make generalizations about where graphic pillows can be used – as there are so many different types and styles – but some of the most common rooms include:
- Patios. Screened porches and patios are usually casual and stylish. This provides the perfect opportunity to implement graphic pillows. They can break up the monotony of a room and provide a much needed spark of color.
- Living rooms. As one of the primary entertainment rooms in most homes, the living room is a great place to include a couple graphic pillows. Try putting one on either side of a sofa for a stylish statement.
- Home offices. Home offices are often very personalized spaces. Graphic pillows can be a great way to add some color and make a statement at the same time.
There are so many ways to create a modern graphic space and graphic pillows are a fun and easy-to-implement option.
At Pillow Décor, we offer a number of pillow solutions for your home. For those interested in graphic pillows, head on over to our store and check out the wide variety of products available.
What Your Home Says about You!
Whether it’s a t-shirt, car, or pillow, we all have color preferences. But did you know the colors you choose say a lot about who you are? Your favorite color is usually related to your personality. Read on to learn more about what your home’s design colors and themes say about you.
Interesting Color Facts
Before getting started, let’s take a look at some interesting facts about colors. Did you know:
- Humans see in three primary colors. They are red, yellow, and blue.
- Zip Lock bags used to manufacture their seal in yellow and blue, so the user would know it was sealed when it turned green (the combination of the two colors).
- Men and women actually see the color red quite differently. That’s because the gene that allows us to see and interpret red is found in the X chromosome (of which females have two and males possess only one).
What does your favorite color say about you?
- White. White is the symbol for innocence, purity, and childhood. As an adult, your preference for the color white could signal a desire to recapture innocence and youth. It could also symbolize a yearning for a simpler life.
- Black. This is a classy, dignified color. This usually signals a desire for suppression and mystery. You likely have inner longings that most people don’t know about.
- Red. This color is directly related to passion, strength, healing, and vitality. This likely means you have an ambitious nature and are very optimistic. If you tend to be quiet and have a preference for red, it may signal a desire for warmth and strength.
- Yellow. This is the color of happiness and imagination. People with a preference for yellow are usually adventurous, intellectual, and easy going.
- Blue. If you have an affinity for the color blue, you are likely soft, compassionate, and caring. It signals introspection and self-control. People who like blue are typically worriers and can sometimes be too cautious.
- Purple. The color purple indicates a unique, witty personality. You are probably artistic and sometimes misunderstood.
At Pillow Décor, we understand everyone has different tastes and styles. To learn more about the language of color read this more in depth article from Pillow Decor, or browse our vast selection of pillows and express your personality through color!
Zen Interiors: Shifting to a More Balanced Life – Starting with Your Home!
A Zen inspired interior conjures up an image of a harmonious and peaceful space, one that invites relaxation and unwinding from a busy day. Clean and airy rooms with soft light, natural finishings, textures and decorations come to mind. Today, few would argue that life can get rather hectic at times, so it is no surprise that versatile variations of Zen home interiors are so popular.
As with any decorating style, while there is always room for creative self-expression, following certain techniques will help you achieve the desired Zen look.
Zen is often associated with minimalist style. Minimalism strives to only show the essential qualities of things without excessive decorations and overwhelming color combinations. The preference is given to simple natural materials, basic geometric forms and toned-down colors.
Try to keep your design free of clutter and only introduce one or two accent pieces that fit with the overall concept. These steps will help create a sense of peace and calmness expected of a Zen inspired space.
Accent on Nature
When it comes to choosing interior finishings, using natural materials such as wood, bamboo, stone and natural fabrics is a great way to bring nature into your home. Use earthy colors like soft hues of green, pink and grey, beige and white.
Placing plants inside a room is not only visually calming but will bring more oxygen into your home. Soft textures of upholstery fabrics, rugs and throw pillows will effectively add to the relaxed atmosphere.
Try experimenting with natural scents to engage your senses. They may come in the forms of essential oils, candles, sprays or incenses. Different scents are suited for different purposes and many have healing, calming or invigorating qualities
Nature is fascinating in the way it constantly evolves. Zen inspired interiors use asymmetry as a symbol of the process of life. It is believed to help nurture one’s imagination and creativity, whereas uniformity of design is considered a sign of stagnation. Thus, placing your furniture and décor pieces asymmetrically will create a sense of movement and change.
When your decorating process is over, don’t forget the fundamental requirement for achieving your Zen – living fully and authentically in the present moment and joyfully accepting each day with gratitude. Decorated in Zen style, your home can be your daily inspiration to live a more balanced and fulfilling life.
Polka dots are one of those classic patterns that can seem timeless yet trendy at the same time, so it’s no surprise that they are experiencing a significant comeback for Spring 2014. In the world of fashion design, polka dots popped up all over the Spring/Summer runways this year. Fresh and eye-catching, polka dots appeared in bright colors, ranging from tiny dots to large spots. Depending on how polka dots are designed, they can appear young and fresh or sleek and sophisticated.
Polka Dots at Home
With polka dots making such a splash in the world of fashion design, it makes sense that interior design has followed suit and embraced polka dots as well. Polka dots are showing up as a part of all of the latest home décor lines. As with clothing, polka dots can lend a touch of sophistication or youthful freshness, depending on the styling and design. Black and white polka dots are particularly popular, as they add a graphic, modern feel to a room.
There are plenty of places throughout your home where you can introduce polka dots and work this trend into your interior design. Consider adding the following elements to your home décor:
• A polka dot bedspread. In the bedroom, make a graphic statement by switching to a colorful, dotted comforter. If that’s too much of a statement for your taste, try a bedspread with spotted details or allow polka dot sheets to peek out from underneath a solid comforter.
• Spotted wallpaper. For the uber-trendy, polka dot wallpaper is irresistible. Dotted wallpaper makes a room seem chic and glamorous.
• Dotted throw pillows. One of the easiest ways to incorporate polka dots into your home décor is to buy a few spotted throw pillows. For instance, Pillow Décor’s cream multicolor dots decorative pillow would make a stylish addition to any living room.
Once you get started with this trend, it’s hard to stop! How will you introduce polka dots to your interior design?
Don’t Let Your Bedroom Décor Put You To Sleep: How To Transform Your Boring Bedroom
Your bedroom should be a tranquil place where you can relax at the end of a stressful day. Still, the décor does not have to be dull in order for it to be calming and comfortable. Let’s look at a few different ways to transform your bedroom space into one that you can enjoy with a few simple steps.
Mix and Match
Colors, patterns, you name it. If your room is too dull for words, then it’s time to spice it up. Many people are afraid of mixing multiple patterns, but lots of patterns in a room can actually be quite harmonious! The trick, of course, is to keep the hues similar between individual patterns.
Bright colors can be great as accents if your room is mostly white or neutral. They don’t have to overwhelm a room, either – if you keep the walls and bedding white, then any colorful touch will pop on its own, whether it’s a rug, bookshelf, or throw pillow.
Find Fabrics You Love
One great way to jump start the redecorating process is to inspire yourself with fabric patterns that you love, and work from there. If you revolve your new room around a theme, it will feel like a space you can come home to and relax in.
Accessories don’t have to overwhelm a room. The right combination of furniture and accessories can even be the only things you use to do your décor overhaul – don’t forget that accessories can totally change the whole look and feel of a space. Consider graphic pillow accents with additions like these Alhambra Handprint Indigo throw pillows to round out your room and add an individual flair to your entire space, even if you prefer to keep the majority of the space swathed in neutral colors or tones.