outdoor throw pillows
now browsing by tag
Pillows are a great décor item any time of year, but most people associate them only with fall and winter. The word “pillow” tends to connote a warm, somewhat bulky item that only serves indoor purposes. In reality, you can use pillows for a myriad of summer decorating projects, some of which we’ve highlighted here.
Use Durable Summer Pillows
Summer is the perfect time to move your decorating skills outdoors. Adding summer pillows to your deck or veranda can give it a splash of color and make guests more comfortable during a cookout or poolside party. While shopping for outdoor pillows though, make sure you look for a few key features:
- Weather protection. Look for acrylics and other fabrics that won’t hold moisture or become mildewed
- Durability. Avoid pillows made with silk, rayon, or nylon, as they will tear easily and are more difficult to clean
- UV resistance. Using a pillow that soaks up too much sunlight can make you hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable. In addition to this, colors exposed to sunlight from the wrong sorts of fabric will soon fade. Look for temperature-resistant fabrics in light, heat-reflecting colors.
Bring the Beach Home with Summer Pillows
During spring and summer, everyone is anxious to get outdoors again. If you aren’t near a beach or mountain resort, use outdoor pillows to bring those luxurious locales a bit closer. Look for pillows with specific designs, such as beach scenes, pineapples, sunsets, or bright florals. If you want more subtle décor, seek out pillows with multicolored waves or stripes, or a tie-dye style.
Go Big and Bold
During summer, most people wear brighter, bolder colors. Your home and outdoor spaces can, too. Popular summer shades include –
- Turquoise, aqua, and indigo blues
- Deep, saturated pinks
- Neon greens and yellows
- Purple in almost any shade from lavender to violet; this is often used as an accent color in larger designs
- Oranges in bold or soft shades; these can be tinged with soft pink for a sunrise effect
Many summer designs also use larger, bolder prints than their fall and winter counterparts. Look for starburst designs, large geometric patterns, or patterns that evoke tribal or Native American cultures. Some summer pillows are made with fringe or tassels for an extra bold touch.
Nod to Mother Nature
Your pillows and other outdoor décor should be backdrops to the natural beauty around you. To facilitate this, look for pillows whose designs celebrate nature. Some pillows use floral designs, while others have a single bird or animal as a focal point. Still other pillows use more abstract designs, relying on colors like green, cream, and earth brown.