now browsing by category
Embrace a Touch of the Tropics This August
There’s no better way to ring in the summer season than with tropical home décor. The great thing about tropical décor is that, contrary to popular belief, you can go bright and bold or clean and sophisticated. Consider your existing color palette before choosing your tropical additions, and then look for accents with a tropical theme.
If you’d like a tropical theme year round, try out a light sea blue on the walls or a Florida Keys Blue. Light blue tones will be reminiscent of the sea, but not so bold as to overtake a room. Florida Keys Blue is more like the beautiful turquoise colors of the Florida Keys, and it can make any area feel tropical.
Fortunately, you don’t need an entire room to be repainted to bring in the tropics. Accents do a good job of giving your home the feel you’ve been looking for, even if it’s just for a season. For those just wanting some incredible summer accents for their spaces, here are some options to consider.
One of the most fun trends right now features sea creatures in your décor. For the fisherman in your life, this provides an alternative to that mounted bass over the fireplace. Simple, sophisticated, but with a nod to the sea, these accents recall the ocean. Choose a fish design that ties in with your color scheme for best effect. A personal favorite is the Lionfish.
For those with cool wall tones, beautiful seahorse décor makes for beautiful additions. These majestic creatures give you that underwater feel while remaining somewhat understated.
When you set your tropical theme in motion, don’t forget to add touches of underwater plant life. If you’d like to bring a tropical reef feel to your bedroom, explore some coral-inspired options. Pale coral tones work beautifully with darker design schemes.
Bold Is Beautiful
Big and bold tropical prints are trending right now, especially for outdoor areas. Tie your ocean theme home with your deck or pool area with bright and bold colors. Whether you choose Macaw Green or Sunset Orange, the right pillow colors can connect your inner tropic theme with your outdoor areas. If you want to embrace the season, jump in with some of these large print throws; they don’t have to be an obvious nod to the tropics. Waverly Fishbowl Caviar is a favorite year round but will still fit into a tropical décor.
Whether bright and attention grabbing or subtle and clean, there’s a summer-inspired tropical design out there for you. Experiment this season, and bring summer inside!
3 Tips to A Patio with Outdoor Throw Pillows
While most people don’t consider “soft” furniture for decorating out of doors, it remains true that cushions and outdoor throw pillows are actually a great way to bring comfort to your porch, patio, or outdoor seating area. Cushions and throw pillows can even do wonders to create a space that feels like an outdoor “room.” Consider these pointers for creating an outdoor seating space that prioritizes comfort and style.
One of the best ways to make your outdoor seating area more comfortable is to use bright colors. Because of the way that outdoor seating reflects natural light and flashy flowering plants in your garden, you have much more leeway to mix and match colors out of doors than you do inside. For added coordination, consider using some of the colors that you have already used to decorate the interior of your home, creating a feeling of overall harmony both indoors and outdoors.
Colors are not the only way to make outdoor seating areas feel exciting and interesting. Patterns such as zigzags, stripes, polka dots, or even tribal patterns can be great when mixed together, reflecting some of the unique shapes in nature. Consider mirroring the shapes of your trellis with damask seat cushions for a subtle but lovely way to make your outdoor space harmonious. Outdoor throw pillows like the Waverly New Twist Aquarium can add both bright colors and patterns to any outdoor decor.
Multiple Layers of Outdoor Throw Pillows
You want outdoor furniture to be made of materials that will last, which is why rattan, wicker, and wrought iron are such popular choices. However, with such classically uncomfortable materials, you will need to find new ways to add comfort. By layering outdoor throw pillows with varying shapes and sizes, your patio space will feel customized, luxuriously comfortable, and even downright plush.
7 Must Have Patio Accessories
Summer is just around the corner, which means barbeques, gardening, and all forms of backyard entertainment will soon be underway. Now is the perfect opportunity to prepare your outdoor space for the festivities, so why not do it in style with patio accessories? From throw pillows to potted plants and statues to wind chimes, there are many ways to spruce up your patio in time for summer and make it the place to be for friends and family. Here are some patio accessories to complement the area:
- Outdoor lighting. Lights can be embedded in stepping stones, mounted to fences or walls, or strung from nearby structures to brighten the path for your family and friends. Floor lamps give the impression of an indoor living space, and hanging lanterns or tabletop candles will brighten the dinner area. For added whimsy, and for use as an insect deterrent as well, consider surrounding your entertaining area with tiki torches.
- Decorative water fountains. Gurgling fountains are soothing to the ear and mesmerizing to watch. They are fantastic conversation pieces as well. There are countless options for these garden and patio accessories – such as wall mounted, hanging, tiered, or tabletop fountains.
- Versatile seating. Patio furniture should be practical and multifunctional. It should withstand the elements with somewhat minimal maintenance and be suitable for a multitude of activities, such as working, relaxing, and dining. Seating should also leave plenty of room in the area for movement.
- Potted plants. Herb gardens are easy to maintain and nicely accent patio space. Check with the local garden center to find out which plants grow comfortably in your area. Then combine different types in planters to make colorful arrangements. To add to the diversity, use pots in an array of sizes, shapes, colors, and materials.
- Statues. Birdbaths and cherubs are perhaps the most traditional outdoor pieces. If these are too classical for your style but you’d rather not opt for plastic flamingos and garden gnomes, there are still many tasteful choices available. Gargoyles, fairies, bird houses and feeders, and even garden benches are all beautiful patio accessories that can promote conversation or simply be a peaceful object on which to meditate.
- Wind chimes. Although wind chimes of any style are aesthetically pleasing, they are quite functional too. They help predict the weather by alerting you to strong winds or changes in wind patterns. They are also an added security measure – because they are so sensitive, they will likely ring and jingle at the slightest disturbance. Wind chimes can even soothe upset children and keep pesky birds at bay.
- Pillows. Add comfort and style to your outdoor living space with pillows. They can be themed – floral, for instance – or, as with flower pots, you can display a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors.
Remember to opt for pillows and cushions that are weather-resistant, meaning they should be able to resist fading from exposure to sunlight and repel moisture and mildew. Additionally, they should be easy to wipe clean. For more decorating information, and for an expansive selection of outdoor pillows, visit Pillow Décor today!
Warm Fluffy Fur Pillows for Winter
It’s winter, which means it’s time to consider how you’d like your décor to complement the season. One way to add warmth and comfort is to incorporate fur pillows into your home. If real fur isn’t your thing, there are numerous other options.
Why We Love Fur Pillows
Professionals in the world of interior decorating believe fur offers a sophisticated, rich feeling during the winter. Humans forget we are animals too, and our inclination when it’s cold outside is to nest and get cozy. Fur-like textures such as velvet and cashmere are popular for the same reasons, but fur in particular can help a space feel warm and welcoming. Incorporating fur texture also adds different layers of depth, especially when combined with the warm glow of candlelight.
Less Is More
Too much fur can be overwhelming and may make your cozy home look more like a hunter’s cabin. Design experts advise keeping fur to a minimum and using it as an accent, such as with a throw blanket or pillows. This is also great for those interested in adding this design element without wanting to break the bank.
One excellent choice for those interested in fur or fur-like texture is Mongolian Sheepskin, which comes in numerous colors, from earth tones and neutrals to bright hues that pop. Crafted from rich, buttery sheepskin and suede leather, these pillows are soft and visually stunning. On the other hand, if you’re a believer in animal welfare, faux fur is a perfect alternative, adding the same richness and warmth to any interior space. Consider items like this soft, plush Amur Wolf pillow. Silky, shiny, and covered with an inch of luxurious faux fur, it’s the perfect size for a sofa or for sitting on the floor.
Whatever your favorite fur may be, it remains an excellent choice while the weather grows colder. Consider fur today to add rich, delightful depth to your living space.
Halloween: Last Minute Decorating Ideas
Paint Your Pumpkin!
No time to carve? No problem! Pick up some painting supplies and get creative with your friends and family. Unlike carving, even the youngest kids can enjoy this fun Halloween activity!
Treats for The Party
If you are throwing a Halloween party but feel there is not enough time to decorate your home, don’t worry – treat your guests to some tasty, Halloween-inspired desserts such as these fun and festive cupcakes. Try serving your friends cupcakes in a jar – a funky Halloween version of the traditional cupcake – plus, very convenient for a stand-up type of party!
Halloween Themed Stickers
If you have no time to invest in decorating your interior for Halloween, consider spooking up the exterior of your house or apartment with black window stickers. The scary and mysterious silhouettes on the windows will get you and your neighbors in the Halloween mood. Add some orange lights to frame the windows for the full effect.
One fast and hassle-free option is to use orange balloons with scary Halloween drawings or stickers on them, which can be bought or quickly made at home.
Decorative Halloween Candles
Spelling Halloween-related words on a set of candles colored in yellow, orange, rust and brown is a great addition to the atmosphere. Candles of various shapes, colors and sizes are easily available from your nearest supermarket. To save money, try wrapping the candles you already have at home with colored tissue paper that can be found in your local dollar store. Next, attach vinyl or paper letters to spell words like “October”, “Happy Halloween” and “Boo!”
Halloween Throw Pillows
One of the easiest ways to decorate your home for holidays in a comfortable and functional fashion is to throw in some decorative pillows. At Pillow Décor, we got you covered for your Murder Mystery Halloween party! Add a splash of blood red to your living room with this shockingly sophisticated Bullet Point Pillow.
When to Give a Throw Pillow as a Gift
When it comes to gift giving, pillows can be a hit or a miss. Understanding the recipient’s taste and unique circumstances is crucial to choosing a gift pillow they will enjoy and display, instead of letting it languish in a closet (or giving it away).
When to Give a Gift Pillow
Sometimes it’s appropriate to give a pillow, and other times it’s best to go with another gift. In the following situations, a pillow is acceptable:
- Housewarming parties. The most popular time to give a pillow is at a housewarming party. After all, guests are there for the purpose of seeing the home and congratulating the owners on their new move. If it’s your first time visiting the home since it’s been decorated, you’ll want to go with very neutral colors that could be used with a variety of styles.
- Bridal showers. Giving a pillow at a bridal shower is entirely appropriate. In most cases, guests are asked to provide a gift that will contribute to the new couple’s home, and a pillow can be a very memorable and much needed gift.
- Holidays. Many people enjoy trading out pillows throughout the year. This is typically done on a seasonal basis, and styles are usually related to holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Valentine’s Day. At holiday parties, consider giving a themed pillow as a housewarming gift. It can be put to immediate use and is always appropriate.
- Birthdays. If you know the person very well, you can give a pillow as a birthday gift. Here, though, you need to be more careful. With less guidance than other situations, you can easily go astray with a style that is neither useful nor tasteful.
Considerations for Pillow Gift Giving
There is no need to overthink things, but do give consideration to the following areas:
- Style. What is the recipient’s current color scheme?
- Theme. Does the recipient have a favorite theme? (I.e. dogs, flowers, or pattern)
- Function. Does the recipient have small children or pets? (Functionality vs. Style)
At Pillow Décor, we have pillows for every occasion. Regardless of the style, material, shape, size, or color you’re looking for, we have something that will suite your needs. For gift giving, you can also consider a gift certificate – which is perfect for any occasion.
Ditch The Plastic Santa: Keeping Your Holiday Decor Stylish
Tired of plastic lawn Santas and the same icicle lights you see on the outside of every home during the holidays? You are definitely not alone. Consider some of these holiday decor trends to change things up. It doesn’t mean you have to give up tradition – just give it a little nudge in a new direction and see what family and friends think. You can always bring back the plastic Santa next year!
Hanging Lights and Decorations
If you usually restrict hanging decorations to the Christmas tree, you may be looking for somewhere else for those Shiny Brites to go. Have you considered hanging your sparkly baubles and snowflakes from your overhead lights to make them really shimmer and shine?
If you have kids, or even if you have young relatives visiting you this holiday season, maybe it’s time to change up your usual red and green. Brightly colored decorations and stockings hanging on the mantel can do wonders and add whimsy to your overall holiday décor.
Chic Color Schemes
Of course, bright colors and whimsical decorations may not be your cup of tea for the holidays. You can definitely achieve a wintry wonderland feeling with simple neutral colors with accents of gold lighting for a more subtle, chic take on decorating.
Holiday Themed Pillows
Maybe what you really want to do is swap out some of your usual decorations for holiday ones. Do you have those special pillows for this time of year yet? Consider adding elegant holiday pillows to your collection, like these Tuscany Linen Metallic throw pillows. These pillows add a beautiful silver sheen accent to your home and will reflect the brightness of your Christmas lighting. Pillows like these are especially wonderful if you want a festive pillow that you can use year round.
Of course, you may want pillows with more holiday-specific decorations, which is where pillows like this Holly Berry Pillow come into play. These pillows will fit so nicely into your warm and welcoming decoration scheme, you’ll be sad to put them away when the holidays are over.
Decorating with Holiday Style
We love the way so many homes transform during the holidays. As the temperature dips, most of us turn up the heat inside. The usual suspects for changing the color and mood of your home for the holidays are crackling fires, twinkle lights, candles, vases, flowers, table linens, iconic imagery, and holiday tree ornaments. It’s no surprise that one of our favorite ways to warm up, spice up, or otherwise reflect the season is to add twinkle, texture and color with throw pillows. They are relatively inexpensive, abundant in colors and styles, and the covers can be folded into tiny little envelopes to be stored for the rest of the year. The inserts can be redressed and stay on the sofa where they belong.
We’ve chosen some of our favorite pillows, so easily adapted to reflect the holidays.
Add some twinkle and shine with these metallic, 100% linen pillows:
Use luxurious faux fur or Mongolian sheepskin pillows to add warmth and texture:
Choose an accent color(s) to complement the rest of your holiday décor:
Or, if you aren’t in the mood to change things up completely, just add some sparkle or faux fur to your every day throw pillows and watch them take on a seasonal ambiance. Enjoy the season!
You must be logged in to post a comment.