now browsing by tag
While most people don’t consider “soft” furniture for decorating out of doors, it remains true that cushions and outdoor throw pillows are actually a great way to bring comfort to your porch, patio, or outdoor seating area. Cushions and throw pillows can even do wonders to create a space that feels like an outdoor “room.” Consider these pointers for creating an outdoor seating space that prioritizes comfort and style.
One of the best ways to make your outdoor seating area more comfortable is to use bright colors. Because of the way that outdoor seating reflects natural light and flashy flowering plants in your garden, you have much more leeway to mix and match colors out of doors than you do inside. For added coordination, consider using some of the colors that you have already used to decorate the interior of your home, creating a feeling of overall harmony both indoors and outdoors.
Colors are not the only way to make outdoor seating areas feel exciting and interesting. Patterns such as zigzags, stripes, polka dots, or even tribal patterns can be great when mixed together, reflecting some of the unique shapes in nature. Consider mirroring the shapes of your trellis with damask seat cushions for a subtle but lovely way to make your outdoor space harmonious. Outdoor throw pillows like the Waverly New Twist Aquarium can add both bright colors and patterns to any outdoor decor.
Multiple Layers of Outdoor Throw Pillows
You want outdoor furniture to be made of materials that will last, which is why rattan, wicker, and wrought iron are such popular choices. However, with such classically uncomfortable materials, you will need to find new ways to add comfort. By layering outdoor throw pillows with varying shapes and sizes, your patio space will feel customized, luxuriously comfortable, and even downright plush.
Summer is just around the corner, which means barbeques, gardening, and all forms of backyard entertainment will soon be underway. Now is the perfect opportunity to prepare your outdoor space for the festivities, so why not do it in style with patio accessories? From throw pillows to potted plants and statues to wind chimes, there are many ways to spruce up your patio in time for summer and make it the place to be for friends and family. Here are some patio accessories to complement the area:
- Outdoor lighting. Lights can be embedded in stepping stones, mounted to fences or walls, or strung from nearby structures to brighten the path for your family and friends. Floor lamps give the impression of an indoor living space, and hanging lanterns or tabletop candles will brighten the dinner area. For added whimsy, and for use as an insect deterrent as well, consider surrounding your entertaining area with tiki torches.
- Decorative water fountains. Gurgling fountains are soothing to the ear and mesmerizing to watch. They are fantastic conversation pieces as well. There are countless options for these garden and patio accessories – such as wall mounted, hanging, tiered, or tabletop fountains.
- Versatile seating. Patio furniture should be practical and multifunctional. It should withstand the elements with somewhat minimal maintenance and be suitable for a multitude of activities, such as working, relaxing, and dining. Seating should also leave plenty of room in the area for movement.
- Potted plants. Herb gardens are easy to maintain and nicely accent patio space. Check with the local garden center to find out which plants grow comfortably in your area. Then combine different types in planters to make colorful arrangements. To add to the diversity, use pots in an array of sizes, shapes, colors, and materials.
- Statues. Birdbaths and cherubs are perhaps the most traditional outdoor pieces. If these are too classical for your style but you’d rather not opt for plastic flamingos and garden gnomes, there are still many tasteful choices available. Gargoyles, fairies, bird houses and feeders, and even garden benches are all beautiful patio accessories that can promote conversation or simply be a peaceful object on which to meditate.
- Wind chimes. Although wind chimes of any style are aesthetically pleasing, they are quite functional too. They help predict the weather by alerting you to strong winds or changes in wind patterns. They are also an added security measure – because they are so sensitive, they will likely ring and jingle at the slightest disturbance. Wind chimes can even soothe upset children and keep pesky birds at bay.
- Pillows. Add comfort and style to your outdoor living space with pillows. They can be themed – floral, for instance – or, as with flower pots, you can display a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors.
Remember to opt for pillows and cushions that are weather-resistant, meaning they should be able to resist fading from exposure to sunlight and repel moisture and mildew. Additionally, they should be easy to wipe clean. For more decorating information, and for an expansive selection of outdoor pillows, visit Pillow Décor today!